How to have a GIF as an icon— It’s really easy. Don’t worry.
UPDATE: There have been many asks sent to me regarding problems people have with setting up GIF’s as icons. I recently changed my icon to a new one and then realized it wasn’t playing— so I figured this was happening to people as well. It appears that this bug happened today. Yesterday, the icons were working perfectly. Now, I don’t know exactly why this is happening, but I’m certain it’s related to Tumblr. Maybe a bug, an update or something. If you want to do this tutorial, go ahead. If it works for you anyway, then yay! Let me know if it does. It’s really frustrating and I don’t know why this stopped all of a sudden and I hope it gets resolved soon.
This is a neat little trick I learned and it allows you to use a GIF as your Tumblr icon. ISN’T THAT GR9.
Ok, first things first. If you want to make your own GIF for your icon, you’re going to need to have Photoshop or Gimp. Choose/make the GIF you want to use and make its dimensions 64 x 64px (by cropping or resizing). THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT OR ELSE IT WILL NOT WORK!
After you’ve made your GIF, you’re going to need to convert the GIF file into an APNG file. How do you do that, you ask? Well it’s easy! Just download this program. It takes literally a few seconds. Unpack the software, open it, load the GIF (Select Source File), and click convert! It’s that easy. Tip: make sure you have the latest Java running on your computer. If not, you won’t be able to run the software.
Picture of the software:
Now, if you use Firefox, you can skip the following step. Chrome users need to download this extension if you want to be able to see your (and other peoples’) animated icon play on you dashboard. Install it and then restart your Chrome. If you do not close and reopen Chrome, it may not work. Just do it as a precaution.
Next, it’s time for uploading! Just go to where you normally upload your icon in the settings of your blog, find your APNG file you created earlier, and upload! Save it, and you are done! See how easy that was?
Some sample icon files here (already made, feel free to download and use).
- captainswanwillforeverreign likes this
- ofhousehoechlin reblogged this from chaoticresources
- ashtynpls likes this
- imawkward1d likes this
- morganted likes this
- daltonthepolarbear reblogged this from haley-is-fab
- haley-is-fab reblogged this from sammysnipples
- ryugezaki likes this
- nishii likes this
- leafguards likes this
- rj-resources reblogged this from pscs5
- kourtinahelps likes this
- carrhelps likes this
- birdie-mccoy likes this
- reallygoodsir likes this
- rarkholme likes this
- carson-rps likes this
- padaiecki likes this
- keeksrps reblogged this from sukirps
- berryroleplays likes this
- mermaidjacks likes this
- girlofsteelrps reblogged this from themagicalhelper
- phishstix likes this
- blainesrph reblogged this from themagicalhelper
- rpawkwardly likes this
- secondbreakfastofrp reblogged this from deucalio
- gorgeousxrobyn likes this
- briannathestrange likes this
- pre-destinados-rp likes this
- perrie-berries likes this
- ashofrps reblogged this from broganrps
- broganrps reblogged this from nicolerph
- teenwhat likes this
- emuofrph reblogged this from nicolerph
- mrrightrpg likes this
- criesofrp likes this
- illmatic-aja likes this
- shatteredrps likes this
- spillyatea reblogged this from murdaofrps
- cupcakesofrp reblogged this from nicolerph
- foxeshelps likes this
- wolfgangroleplays likes this
- christina-tho likes this
- shannonhelps reblogged this from murdaofrps
- murdaofrps reblogged this from nicolerph
- nicolerph reblogged this from trisassists
- peace-rph reblogged this from trisassists
- trisassists reblogged this from deucalio
- ailuranthro likes this